Below are the ten most recent posts from my blog, mirrored from the original at

Running Visual Studio as an administrator causes ‘Save changes to devenv.sln’ when double clicking solutions

After making sure my Visual Studio always ran as an administrator by following my own post HowTo: Have Visual Studio always run as administrator on Windows 8, I got a message if I wanted to save changes to devenv.sln each and every time I double clicked a Solution. Since the problem kept occuring after installing […]
posted on Thursday April 16 2015
tags: .Net, Tip, Visual Studio, VS2013, VS2015,

Scheduled build launches an hour early on TFS 2013 (after installing Update 3 or 4)

There’s new information in this issue. Please read the updates at the bottom of the article. We use our own TFS server and were using TFS 2013 Update 2 up until last Tuesday. We have several build definitions for my current project, and most of them are scheduled at a specific time, because we have […]
posted on Thursday April 09 2015
tags: TFS,

Error saving Galileo Wiring App in Visual Studio

Last week I received my Intel Galileo board (from and I started playing with developing for it yesterday. I created a first test project, but it didn’t run. Visual Studio couldn’t find the Arduino header file, which was probably due to a missing NuGet package (the Galileo C++ SDK). I tried to save the […]
posted on Tuesday September 16 2014
tags: Development, Error, Gadgets, IoT, Visual Studio,

Fixing the Remote Desktop Connection to a Virtual Machine in Microsoft Azure

A few minutes before my second session at the Dutch Techdays started I tried connecting to my Virtual Machine in Microsoft Azure through remote desktop. It didn’t connect… The RDP client tried to connect to the Virtual Machine, but nothing happened. So I rebooted the VM and tried connecting again, confident that this would solve […]
posted on Wednesday May 07 2014
tags: azure, Congresses, Error, Tip,

Techdays 2014 The Netherlands

As I wrote earlier I presented at the 2014 Dutch Techdays. The session content is now available online. Find it here (Dutch): Session information + PDF of my presentation My presentation on SlideShare My session on Channel 9
posted on Wednesday May 07 2014
tags: azure, Congresses, HPC, Link, Personal,

Error comparing historic versions of a TFS source controlled file

When working with Visual Studio 2012 on our current project, the error ‘These files are not text files and cannot be opened in the comparison window.’ shows up every now and again. I’ve tried several things to solve this problem. Here’s the one that works: Close Visual Studio Navigate to your version of the ‘c:\users\{username}\AppData\Local\Temp\’ […]
posted on Wednesday March 12 2014
tags: Error, TFS, VS2012,

Getting Bootstrap to work on Windows Phone 8

There are a couple of websites I manage that use Twitter Bootstrap*. These websites are fully responsive and work well on all devices. Or actually, almost all devices. The wrapping of columns in a container on a Windows Phone doesn’t work the way you’d want it out of the box. Windows Phone interprets device-width as […]
posted on Friday February 21 2014
tags: Development, HowTo, Tip, Twitter Bootstrap,

Speaking at TechDays 2014

I’m proud to announce that this year I’ll be speaking at the TechDays in the World Forum in Den Haag, April 16 – 17. This session will be about High Performance Computing in Windows Azure. Camera resolutions keep increasing, your digital behavior on websites and in apps is collected, images that satellites make get more […]
posted on Friday February 07 2014
tags: azure, Congresses, Personal, Tip,

Blog moved… has moved from Community Server to WordPress. One of the changes that comes along with this is that the URL of my blog has changed too. I went from to Thanks to Dennis for putting in a lot of time and effort to migrate BloggingAbout to our new WordPress environment. I’m looking […]
posted on Tuesday February 04 2014
tags: Blog,

HowTo: sign out of Visual Studio Online (when deleting cookies won’t help)

When you have more than one Microsoft Account that you use regularly, you might recognize the scenario where your Visual Studio keeps you signed in to Visual Studio Online… with the wrong account. You keep getting messages that you don’t have access rights. Restarting Visual Studio, rebooting and even clearing all (Visual Studio) cookies doesn’t […]
posted on Wednesday November 27 2013
tags: HowTo, TFS, Tip, Visual Studio, Visual Studio Online,

latest tweets